Saturday, September 14, 2013

Books, Books, Books


I have a great love of books (I may have mentioned this) and we (The Hub & I) have tons of books. Currently I am reading Phillip Pullman’s Dark Materials trilogy. We own them all and The Hub has read them. However, I finished book 2 and I could not find book 3. It was not with the others. So I figured I would check it out of the library. However, we went to the thrift store on Monday and thought “let’s see if they have a copy”. I found 3 copies of The Golden Compass (book 1) and 2 copies of The Subtle Knife (book 2), but no Amber Spyglass. I find this interesting. Is it because people finished the 2nd book and could not go on with the series? Which I think is weird because after you have gone thorough 2 why would you stop? I mean these are not tomes which are thousands of pages long, they are young adult novels.        I can see stopping after the 1st one or starting the 1st one and not liking it, but really you get through 2… Anyway, I got it from the library.

Banned Book week is coming up, it is September 22-28th. Here is a website with more details. Everyone should have the freedom to read. We should not live in a society which is afraid of ideas. If your beliefs are so weak that you can’t defend them against the written word, maybe you need to re-evaluate them.
 
So I have to find some banned books to read.  I have been trying to decide what to read. There are some classics like “I Know Why the Caged Bird Sing”, “A Farewell to Arms” and Huck Finn that I have never read, but then there are some modern ones like “Persepolis” which look good. Of course, I actually have some books lying around which I could read that I already own and have not read. I think I have “All the Pretty Horses” in the house. Or I could re-read “Slaughterhouse-Five” because it is the 50th anniversary of its publication.

I will let you know what I decide to do.

No comments: