Monday, March 10, 2008

In Order To Form A More Perfect Union...

I know I promised photos in this edition, but I have not had time to take them, much less down load them to the computer, so again, it will be photo free today. However, I wanted to talk about the big excitement I had over the weekend. I was a delegate at the district level DFL senatorial conference. Okay, that is not the official title, but I can’t remember it and I am too lazy to look it up. I was part of the political process. Since I was trained in history, I would like to diverge here for you folks who are not from the fine state of Minnesota to explain why our Democratic party had extra letters in the abbreviation. The FL stands for the Farmer-Labor party. What, you ask, is a Farmer-Labor party? Well, my little ones let me tell you… Minnesota has always been known for some pretty serious and somewhat radical politics and back in the 1920s, the farmers and urban workers formed a coalition to fight the railroads. The Farmer-Labor party was nationwide, but it was really only successful here in Minnesota. In fact, there was basically the Republican Party and the Farmer-Labor party in the state for most of the 1930s. Many of the governors in the 30s were members of the Farmer-Labor party. However, farmers and urbanites have very different needs from the government and they began to divide. In 1944, the Democrats merged with the Farmer-Labor party and became the DFL. There has been talk of dropping the FL, but I truly hope they don’t because I think it reflects the fact that MN is not the rest of the country.
Now, I do not normally associate myself with any given political parties because I believe that people should vote with their conscience, not because a party tells them for whom to vote. But, I went to the caucus and got swept up in the fever of being part of the process and well, I signed up to be a delegate to the district convention to support Al Franken. My husband, who is a yellow dog Democrat, was doing it and asked me to join him. It was actually a lot of fun and very informative. I think everyone should go do this at least once just to see how the political process really works. Plus, there is a lot of sitting around so I got a TON of knitting done. That is a win-win situation in my book! On Friday I received the yarn I ordered from Little Knits to start the Wool Peddler’s Shawl in Folk Shawls. It is very fun. I would highly recommend it for someone who is just starting out with lace. I am almost to the serious lacey part of the shawl, although none of it is extreme. I am enjoying it so far and I can see making more than one. I got a lot of it done on Saturday while at the convention.
This was the highlight of my weekend really, Sunday was spent just sort of sitting around the house knitting and watching TV. We also had to kick a bunch of boys out of The Girl’s room on Sunday morning as she had 3 boys who had spent the night without our permission. The one was supposed to be picked up at 11 and the other two “did not have anywhere else to stay”. I think she is trying to turn out house into a hotel and I told her that I was going to start charging these kids. I mean, they took a shower and everything. What is up with that? I can not wait until she has to pay her own utility bills. Aaarrgh!

No comments: