Friday, May 08, 2009

Excuse Me Ma’am, Your Geekiness Is Showing

I suspect that many of the people who read this blog have come to realize that I have a deep vein of geekiness in my soul. I do try to hide it, but I am not always successful. Yesterday, I was working on planning this weekend and one of the big things we were going to do was go to see “Star Trek”. I had figured we could go today (Friday) and it would kick off the big weekend (Shepherd’s Harvest and Mother’s Day respectively). Well, as I was looking up the times at the movie theater, I discovered that “Star Trek” was playing at Southdale AMC at 7:00 that day (Thursday). Now, I know how the movie releases work well enough to know that a Friday release is not played until Friday, generally with a geeky movie, you can get a show at 12:01, but at 7:00 on Thursday. No way! So I actually went to the official AMC website because I sort of thought maybe Yahoo had a glitch in it. But no, it was truly playing at 7:00. I called the DH and said let’s go tonight. I was willing to miss Supernatural with The Girl so I could be one of the first to see “Star Trek”. Is that not about the geekiest thing you have ever heard? I have actually been really looking forward to the movie for a long time. I love JJ Abrams and I sort of figured he would have to work pretty hard to mess it up.
DH finally agreed and he met me at the theater at 5:00. We bought tickets and looked at the line that was waiting to be let in the theater. There were only 4 people in it at 5:15. DH did not want to stand in the line, he wanted to go eat. Now, I was not very hungry at that point and the truth be told, I did not want to spoil my chance at eating popcorn. I have a great affection for movie popcorn and I am willing to give up actual nutrition in order to partake in its wonderful goodness. So we compromised, we went and bought books and then went and stood in line. We got our place in line about 5:30 and there were about 9 people in the line in front of us. We stood in line for an hour. We chatted with some strange man who was behind us. It was okay, because I took it as an opportunity to practice my small talking skills. Mainly he talked, so it was not too difficult. We got released from the line and headed into the theater. I got us some good seats and DH bought popcorn and diet coke. I know, we were living it up… caffeinated pop on a work night!
There was a LOT of commercials, more than usual, which always irritates me. I know that it is how they keep ticket prices down etc, but you know what, they will play the same stupid commercial a couple of times in like 5 minutes and I do not see the point of it. Anyway, I was very excited when the movie finally started.

I am going to say this right now. I LOVED this movie. It was funny and smart and jam-packed with action. The actors they got to play all of the characters were spot on. I adored Karl Urban’s portrayal of “Bones” McCoy, I think he was my favorite character, but everyone was very good. I think that anyone would enjoy this movie. A great deal of Star Trek knowledge is not necessary as it really is an introduction to the whole kit and caboodle. Although I will let you know that Romulans and Vulcans share a common ancestry. It is something implied in the movie, but more in passing and it just helps to know that fact. I know that fact because my head is full of geeky goodness.
Not only was the movie incredibly entertaining, there were actual knits in it as well, which made me very happy. Uhura has a very nice red sweater in the bar scene and Scotty is wearing several lovely knits when he is introduced (although, I will say the hat he has on is just bizarre). Also, there is a sweater Spock is wearing in one scene that I am pretty sure I could knit, and as I think on it, I think I have yarn that would work for it. I would also like to point out that even though the Starfleet uniforms are not knitted garments, you could actually knit one as they looked like seed stitch raglan sweaters.
I would say that “Star Trek” is a perfect summer movie: fun and exciting. I have to recommend you run out and see it. I am giving it 4 knitting needles out of 4.

I am actually going to go see it again because it was so good. And just an aside, The Boyfriend would look just like the main Romulan Nero if he shaved his head and slapped some tattoos on it. The Girl denies it, but it is true.

No comments: