Monday, May 18, 2009

I’m a Pisces!

This was my favorite line in the Lost finale. I’m a Pisces too so it just brings me closer to Ben! My 2nd favorite line was when Frank saw what was in the cargo box and he just said “Terrific”. Frank is just such a cool cucumber. As you may have guessed, today I am going to discuss the season finale of Lost. I know that normally I discuss the show a bit closer to the air date, but I want to watch it again, just to make sure I did not miss anything.

Jacob
Who is Jacob? What is he up to? Well, I think that he is the Jacob from the bible, Esau’s brother. I think the other guy on the beach is in fact Esau. Now I have sort thought about Jacob being this guy for a while, although I never said it because, well all I could remember about him was that he tricked his dad into giving him a blessing by dressing up in animal fur because Esau was so hairy. Once the other guy showed up, I decided to look Jacob and Esau up.
Jacob and Esau were twins (Bad Twin?). And they fought inside Rebekkah’s womb and when she asked God what was up, He said that she had two nations inside her.
Esau was born first and therefore entitled to his father’s land and blessing. One day Esau came in from field feeling faint and sold his birthright to Jacob for food. This does not seem like a very good deal to me, but according to the Bible Esau figured he was going to die if he did not get some grub so the birthright would not do him any good.
Now Isaac (dad) liked Esau best because he was a hunter and would bring him venison. But Rebekkah liked Jacob better. Now when Isaac got old and blind he sent Esau out to get him some venison and told him when he got back he would bestow his blessing on him. Rebekkah took this opportunity to dress Jacob up as Esau and trick her husband into giving the blessing to Jacob. By giving Jacob the blessing, it meant that Esau became subservient to Jacob. And Esau vowed to kill Jacob. However, God sent Jacob a dream and then told him he would have a bunch of kids across the lands and blessed him. And in the end Esau did bow down to Jacob. Now Jacob because Israel and Esau became Edom, I am not sure why the name change, but I have to assume it in reference to the 2 nations in the womb thing. This is my summary of the story from Genesis. I skipped a bunch of stuff, so if you want to read it yourself, it starts at Genesis 25:20.
Okay, now let’s look at these guys on the beach. Jacob is obviously more powerful since he can bring people to the island and the Anti-Jacob (this is a term someone on Ravelry used and I am going to use it as well because I do not know he is Esau) can’t stop it. Anti-Jacob wants to kill Jacob, but can’t because well, we don’t know why, but I think it is because he is Esau and therefore has to kowtow to Jacob. So he is looking for a loophole. --- Enter Locke, the mighty hunter. I think that if this guy is Esau, he has been influencing Locke the whole time he was on the island. So he is the reason Locke can go out and find boar and kill it with a knife and track anything. The reason Locke feels special is because he has been being “spoken” to, not by Jacob, but by Esau.
Jacob spins and weaves, which also would fit in with the bible story as it says he likes to “stay in tents”, which I guess is code for he is more fit for cooking and such. Now Anti-Jacob is obviously a man of action. He wants to go to Jacob’s, he wants to go now. He killed a boar and brought it to the Others.

Locke
Poor Locke. He really did spend his whole life being duped. I feel really bad for him, because I think he was a good guy. I also think he is dead. Which I think is a loss for the show. However, he did what was needed of him and I can not see what reason the show would have to keep him on.

Jacob and the Losties
We saw Jacob visiting our Lostie friends in the past. Now all of those he visited (and touched), except Locke and Sun, ended up in 1977. Is this a coincidence? I don’t think so. If fact, I think that if Ben had not killed Locke, he would have ended up back then as well. Sun, I think is in a separate time so she can contemplate how much Jin means to her.
I think Jacob arranged for them to end up in the past so they could come to the future and stop Anti-Jacob when needed, i.e. when he Jacob died. I think that is who Jacob was referring to when he said “They’re coming”. They will join up with Team Statue. The real question is who will The Others follow? Richard or Ben or Anti-Jacob? If I were an Other, I would go with Richard, but one can never tell in Lost.
Does it matter when Jacob spoke to them? Most of them were touched by Jacob pre-flight 815, only Sayid and Hurley were visited since the crash. Are Sayid and Hurley extra special? Sayid did not look in good shape at the end of the episode. Of course, if they stay on the Island, that might not mean much since he wasn’t dead yet. A person seems to be able to survive a lot on the Island. I have always thought Hurley was special so hopefully it will come to pass. Especially when we get to see what is in the guitar case. I think there is probably something very important in the case.

Ben
Poor Ben. I feel bad that his life has been so bad that he feels like he has no other option than to kill Jacob. I do understand blaming him for all the bad stuff that happened to him, but really, I do not think it was Jacob’s fault. And in many ways, Jacob is like God, he gives you freewill and you decided how to live your life. He is not there to baby sit you or make sure everything goes great. It just isn’t his job.
However, I came up with a thought as to why Anti-Jacob chose Ben to kill Jacob. Ben is the Loophole because he was brought back to life, not by Jacob, but by Anti-Jacob. He is tainted. And not because he had a choice, someone else decided to do this to him. He lost his freewill.

Jacob’s Cabin
I do not think Jacob has been in this cabin in a long time. In fact, I think it is the same cabin Rose and Bernard were living in circa 1977. They did not say they built the cabin, only that they had been scavenging for food and avoiding the Dharma gang. I think they broke the ring and Jacob got out. I do not think it was Jacob who was in the cabin when Locke visited; I think it was Anti-Jacob because he wanted to set up his pawns. Locke to feel he was special and Ben to feel he wasn’t. In fact, I do not think Ben had any communication with Jacob during his reign as leader since Ben did not seem to know that Jacob had a 2nd home.

The End
I do not believe the hydrogen bomb went off. As anyone who has read any of my recent Lost posts knows, I have never been really keen on the whole feasibility of blowing up a hydrogen bomb and making the past no longer exist. Even though people might be the variable, what’s done is done. For example, Desmond was able to save Charlie a few times, but Charlie still died. I do not think anything they might do will stop the plane from crashing, because maybe Desmond was not the reason flight 815 crashed. Maybe Jacob made it crash. I actually woke up on Thursday morning with the answer. The white light was not an explosion, it was a time shift. Jacob’s death caused the Island to shift the gang in ’77 back to 2007. Where, they will fight Anti-Jacob for control of the Island.
That’s my theory and I’m sticking to it!

No comments: