Tuesday, July 21, 2009

What is wrong with me?

This weekend I bought a sewing machine. Why? I don’t really know. It occurred to me that I needed one. I do not actually have it yet as it was on backorder. It should be in today or tomorrow. I think I am having a mid-life crisis and it is coming out in the form of hand crafts. I am going to make some burp cloths since The Girl gets mad when I use the dish towels. She is worried about germs. However, I don’t think The Boyfriend actually washes his hands and I would be more concerned about that.
Anyway, I bought a Viking Emerald 116. It is a basic model in the mid-grade range. Of course, I went on line to look up info regarding what to buy and everyone was like “Oh, you shouldn’t get a machine that is under $1000”. Seriously… $1000 min… that is not a typo. I can not afford $1000 machine; that is madness. I know that I will not use it that much; I will not be making quilts, just a few things for the baby. So I spent $300 which I really should not have spent. I do not know what is wrong with me.

Knitting…
I ripped out the cuff I had finished on my Daily Sweater. I reworked it using the same amount of stitches as the end of the sleeve and used a smaller needle. I like it a lot better. It goes in slightly, but is not tight. I can squish it up my forearm if I need to, which I like.
I am part way done with the second sleeve. If I do one set of rows (from decrease to decrease), I should have the sweater done next weekend. Wouldn’t that be exciting?
Other weekend events…
So The Girl and The Boyfriend have been house-sitting for the people who live across the street from The Boyfriend’s mom. The Girl has been coming home for school during the week and going over there for the weekend. The Baby has been staying with The Boyfriend. Anyway, we took The Girl over there on Thursday (she does not have school on Friday) and hung out a while so we could spend a little time with The Baby. The Hub and I had planned on having a nice quiet weekend, just the two of us. On Friday evening, I was at home and The Hub had gone to the grocery store to get supper, when the phone rang. It was The Girl and she was hysterical. She was sobbing and carrying on. Apparently the two dogs they were taking care of at the house had knocked The Baby’s food off of the counter and had eaten it all. And she said she was not even getting paid for this (The Boyfriend agreed to house-sit for free) and she and The Baby were coming home. So we had no quiet weekend after all.
I took The Baby to lunch yesterday with some gals I used to work with and of course she was perfect. She is a great baby and she does like to go out and about. She does like to stay up late, but so does her mom. I think the late nights are finally taking their toll on The Girl though. Ah, sweet revenge!

No comments: