Friday, February 15, 2008

Land of TV shows

I watched both “Lost’ and “Supernatural” last night. They were both stressful. When did TV become so stressful? When I was a kid, there were not shows that caused me to worry or think what will happen next. Well, except Robotech, which I watched when I was in junior high and was really an animated soap opera. But it did not make me wonder what was really going on. There were alien robots trying to invade Earth and we were trying to fight them off. Not exactly overwhelming in possibilities, either we won or not.
I remember reading some article about how “Law and Order” was causing TV shows to become episodic rather than linear since there is little background of the characters and the crimes could happen any time. This was portrayed as a bad thing; however, this is how I remember most of the shows in my youth being like. I do not recall there being much substance to “Beretta” or “Kojak”, I did not have much supervision as a child. Or even something like “All in the Family” or “M*A*S*H” which would deal with some really serious issues, but it would be in one or two episodes. Of course, you did know stuff about the characters so perhaps that is the issue the author had with “Law and Order”.
Regardless, “Lost” was very good. Sayid IS one of the Oceanic 6. Yeah for me in guessing correctly. And there is a time anomaly on The Island. So, I am doing pretty well on my guessing. Sayid is too beautiful. And last night we got to see him in almost no clothes… mmm. However, seeing him being a hired gun is not a great feeling. Although it not like he really was a great humanitarian to start with and since we do not really know who he is eliminating, so it is possible that he is doing the world a favor.
So far, being off the Island seems a lot worse than being on it. As Sawyer pointed out last night it is not such a bad place. There is food and water and electricity and books and you do not get sick. So really, if you did not have any family or friends in the Real World why would you leave? I find it interesting that it is getting to the point on the show where a person watching would start to think that way. I would assume that it is written that way so viewers will not feel so bad for those who get left behind. I have a feeling that in the end, the Oceanic 6 will end up back on the Island. I think it is how it works. The Island keeps what is it considers its own.
In Supernatural, Sam lived the same day over and over again and every day Dean died. It was a trick by a Loki or Coyote like trickster god. Not sure what name they are giving him. However, it did give a glimpse into what Sam will be like when Dean does really die and it was just so depressing. I wonder if they are planning on ending the show this season. I hope not as it is what The Girl and I watch together. It would be nice to have it last a little longer. It is good bonding time.

No comments: