Monday, April 21, 2008

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

It was a very long weekend, filled with ups and downs. I think I will start with the bad and end with the good. That way it will feel upbeat at the end. Plus, there are photos today. I know, it is too exciting!

THE BAD
Last Thursday I received a phone call from my husband telling me that The Girl had been suspended from her new school for drinking. Apparently, she has been drinking on a regular basis. However, she did not bring this alcohol to school, she just helped drink it. She was suspended for the rest of the day on Thursday and all day Friday. She insisted on taking the bus home and she threatened not to come home at all. She was extra surly, which is a sign she knows that she totally screwed up and does not want to face the music. We have had several talks with her, mainly focusing on the fact that SHE was the one who choose this school and SHE managed to get in trouble the very first week. It was not a pleasant evening.
Plus, her doctor kept calling because she needed to talk to her. We gave the doctor The Girl’s cell phone number and that leads to…

THE UGLY
The Girl’s Pap smear was abnormal and she had to go see an OB/GYN ASAP. So on Friday, which I had already taken off to get the oil changed and spend time with my honey, we hauled her downtown to the OB/GYN’s office. They cut off bits of her cervix and told her she had genital warts. Apparently, she was having unprotected sex. Her response was, "I only did it once". I told her that it only takes once and that she would have to notify all the people she had sex with and let them know they may have been exposed. We will know in a week or so if she has cancer or anything. It was a miserable time and The Girl declared it the worse day of her life. So even though she was not in school, she was not having fun, so I guess that is a plus.

THE GOOD
Yes, there were several highlights to the weekend. On Friday morning, my husband and I went and got the oil changed on the car. On the way home, we stopped at our local thrift store and I hit the jackpot. I bought 18 knitting magazines; most of them were copies of Knitter’s, which I just really like. They are not overly trendy, plus there were several with great info about techniques. Plus, they were only $0.69 each. I was so happy.
On Saturday, I went over to the Needlework Unlimited Outlet, which was having a moving sale. All the yarn in there was $2 / ball and sweaters were $15 each. So I bought a ton of yarns.

A mitered blanket, which cost $15

A couple of sweaters, one of which I spent Saturday afternoon ripping out. It was a long coat made out of bulky yarn. I retrieve about 27 balls. All this yarn for only 15 bucks! Can you believe it? I was so happy. I am going to make a shrug and something else, not sure what yet, but I know I have plenty of it.


On Saturday night, DH and I went to a small local theater (Bryant Lake Bowl, yes, it is a bowling alley as well) to see a production called Stitch, Bitch and Die. It was hilarious. It is playing next weekend as well, so if you live in the Twin Cities, go check it out.

On Sunday, I finished the rug for my mom for Mother’s Day. I just need to weave in the ends.

I finally finished The Girl’s poncho, it only took 1 ½ years, but it is done. She wore it to school on Monday. I personally think it is hideous, but she thinks it “sweet”.

No comments: